Newmillshistorypic#57

Raising the Bar : Newmills – a Potted History : Part 2

Posted on September 23, 2016 · Posted in Uncategorized

……. Continued from Part 1

Newmillshistorypic#28

In 1955 Mr Nimmons moved to minister in Co. Wexford. He was succeeded by Rev James Campbell, from Belfast in 1956.

Newmillshistorypic#29

Mr Campbell was a strong biblical expositor online casino and passionate preacher/teacher. He oversaw significant numerical growth, widespread consolidation and deepening of faith amongst the membership over his 29 year tenure.

Newmillshistorypic#30

Newmillshistorypic#31

Newmillshistorypic#32

Newmillshistorypic#33

Newmillshistorypic#34

Controversially, an organ was introduced in 1959, one of the last Presbyterian congregations in Ireland to acquire musical accompaniment.
By this stage the congregation was dabbling in hymn-singing to add to the Psalms and Paraphrases.

Newmillshistorypic#35

The Church Hall was renovated and re-opened in 1968.

Newmillshistorypic#36

Newmillshistorypic#37

Newmillshistorypic#38

Several youth organisations were formed, including the ‘Campaigners’ in 1970.

Newmillshistorypic#39

Newmillshistorypic#40

Mr Campbell had the difficult task of ministering in the area which had its share of terrorist atrocities during the 1970’s and 80’s. Some members lost loved ones in ‘The Troubles’.

Newmillshistorypic#41

After Mr Campbell’s untimely death in 1985, the 8th minister was appointed in January 1988 – Rev David Porter, formerly minister of Castlecaulfield and Eglish, Co. Tyrone.

Newmillshistorypic#42

The Church Committee agreed to the construction of the Campbell Hall to accommodate growing numbers and increased organisational activity. It was officially opened by Mrs Laura Campbell in 1991.

Newmillshistorypic#43

Mr Porter also arranged two significant missions, led by Ken Needham and Gus Eyre during his short ministry, resulting in a number of conversions.

Newmillshistorypic#44

Newmillshistorypic#45

When Mr Porter left Newmills in 1995 to head up a new church plant in Newtownards, the congregation called Rev Gordon Best in 1996, exactly 200 years after the congregation was established.

Newmillshistorypic#46

5th June 2001, the church suffered its second arson attack, and was completely destroyed by fire.

Newmillshistorypic#47

The 4th meeting house was officially opened on 13th May 2003 by the Moderater, Dr Russell Birney

Newmillshistorypic#48

Newmillshistorypic#49

Newmillshistorypic#50

2 significant missions have been held under the current ministry – conducted by Roger Carswell and John Woodside, resulting in a number of conversions.

Newmillshistorypic#51

Newmillshistorypic#52

In recent years, the congregation has witnessed further numerical growth – standing currently at approximately 270 families.

Newmillshistorypic#53

The Lynn Building was opened 30th September 2009 as the most recent addition to our complex to cater for the growing numbers, thanks largely to a very generous bequest from the late Roy and Mabel Lynn.

Newmillshistorypic#54

Newmillshistorypic#55

Newmillshistorypic#55

The Manse had its most recent renovation in 2013, retaining the character of the original, yet providing the Manse family with all the comforts of a modern home.

Newmillshistorypic#56

God has been good to us! Currently He is blessing us with:

  • 15 active elders
  • A series of assistant ministers and a trainee deaconess
  • A large team of people helping to lead our praise and worship
  • A busy Prayer Action Team, Pastoral Care Committee and Missionary Committee
  • Several organisations catering for our men, women, young people, and not so young!
  • Partnerships built up in Donegal and Burma

……….and much, much more!!

God has been abundantly
good to Newmills…

We give Him all the glory!

Newmillshistorypic#57